No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Bringing Libya’s past into the twenty-first century

bythomwestcott
February 11, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Bringing Libya’s past into the twenty-first century

Heritage professionals discuss the country's treasures in the Museum of Libya (Photo: Tom Westcott)

By Tom Westcott.

Heritage professionals discuss the country’s treasures in the National Museum (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 10 February 2013:

With five UNESCO world heritage sites and numerous archaeological remains, Libya has a rich history and . . .[restrict]countless artefacts that need to be protected.

A group of top international archaeologists and heritage professionals is in Tripoli for a series of workshops on how to bring some six thousand years of history into the digital age, to protect and preserve it for future generations.

The four-day series of discussions, bringing selected professionals with specific expertise together to exchange knowledge and ideas, is the first step towards deciding how best to digitalise Libyan culture and history.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“We were basically told by UNESCO that we need to stop digging and start protecting,” Dr Adel Al-Turki from the Department of Antiquities told the Libya Herald.

“During the war we discovered that Libya really has poor human resources compared to its size,” he said. “We need to build our capacity to look after these sites and learn about the importance of conservation and preservation but, before we can do that, we have to educate people, teach them how important our heritage is.”

The Minister of Culture, Dr Habib Al-Amin, gave the keynote address. He emphasised the importance of collaboration with visiting archaeological missions, to help preserve Libya’s heritage. Although Al-Amin stressed that international expertise was essential to helping Libya move forward in terms of its archaeology, and the sites were of international importance, the priorities should always be Libyan.

Libya’s historic documents also need to be conserved (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Dr Hafed Wada, a research fellow at King’s College in London, told the Libya Herald that heritage professionals in Libya had “high hopes” that the sector would be well-supported by the Minister of Culture, who is himself an archaeologist.

Wada said that he was very happy to report that the country’s heritage sites had sustained only limited damage during the revolution. However, the conflict was not the only threat to historic sites. He pointed out there had been post-war “clandestine excavations” at Algalaa and Umm Shuga, where people have used industrial machines to look for Qaddafi-era gold.

He also described the recent damage to Sufi shrines in Tripoli, which he described as “a tragic loss of heritage based on misplaced ideologies.”

Wada showed an impressive series of photos, from the ruins of Leptis Magna to the cave paintings of Tadrat Acacus. He said that these helped to illustrate not only Libya’s impressive heritage, but also the size of the problem the country faced when thinking about how to protect its treasures.

“We have to work hard to protect heritage neglected for forty years,” Wada said, “and we need to fill the gap by using technology.”

He said Libya needed to develop a framework for promoting and protecting its heritage, including the management of its cultural heritage. “We also need to encourage local communities to look after their own culture,” he added.

As well as the presentations, there was a visit to both the photographic archives and the map room at the Department of Antiquities at the Red Castle. There, participants were shown priceless photographs and valuable maps, kept in storage conditions which leaves them vulnerable to decay.

There was great interest in old maps of Tripoli in the Red Castle (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Curator Feryal Sharfeddin explained that many maps in the collection were in poor condition and in desperate need of conservation, stored in an historic building that itself has not been well looked after. She said that a digital database would help preserve the collection, although she added that some of the oversized maps would be extremely difficult to copy.

The afternoon was spent in the National Museum, where experts shared their knowledge about Libyan prehistory as well as the many ancient Greek and Roman artefacts the museum houses.

The event is being sponsored by the World Bank. [/restrict]

Tags: antiquitiesarchaeologyheritageLibyaMuseum of LibyaRed Castle

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Arson suspected in Tripoli Pepsi fire

Arson suspected in Tripoli Pepsi fire

Police equipment fair opens

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.